TMJ Disorder Diagnosis
TMJ Treatment in Northeast New York
The most persistently used joint in the body, the temporomandibular joint (TMJ), is responsible for the movement of the lower jaw (mandible). Without this joint, which connects the lower jaw with the skull, we would not be able to open our mouths to eat, chew, breathe, or talk.
You Don’t Have to Suffer from TMJ Pain Anymore! Request an Appointment
What is TMD?
TMD (Temporomandibular Joint Disorder) is characterized by pain and aching in the jaw, persistent clicking, limited range of motion and sometimes headaches or earaches. If you have any of these symptoms of TMD, it’s important to consult an oral and maxillofacial surgeon, as we specialize in treating problems with the facial bones, in particular the jaw. TMJ disorders may be mild to severe, short or long term. Therefore, Dr. Cuomo, Dr. Cuomo, Dr. Marzullo, Dr. Patella, Dr. Miller Jr., Dr. Lee and Dr. Valenti treat each patient’s situation uniquely.
Causes of TMJ Disorders:
- Bruxism (grinding): Often, people grind or clench their teeth at night while they are sleeping. This involuntary activity puts an enormous amount of pressure on the joint, creating inflammation.
- Displacement or dislocation of the disk: There is a disk in between the jawbone and the socket that can become displaced, dislocated or damaged, causing damage and pain.
- Trauma: An injury to any part of the jaw can cause pain in the joint.
- Stress: Painful spasms and trouble moving the jaw are sometimes the result of stress.
Treatment of TMJ Disorders
- Night Guards and Splints
- Home Care
- Soft Foods
- Warm Moist Compresses
- OTC Pain Medication
- Stress Management
- Relaxation Techniques
- Surgical Treatment
Determining the cause of TMJ disorders may seem complex, however we have a variety of tools at our disposal including advanced imaging techniques to accurately diagnosis and treat your TMJ pain. Give us a call at Carmel NY Office Phone Number 845-278-2101 for more information.
The Best Oral Surgeons in Northeast New York!
Call any of our office locations with questions or schedule an online consultation today!
- Carmel NY Carmel NY Office Phone Number 845-278-2101
- Danbury CT Danbury Office Phone Number 203-797-0008
- Hartsdale Hartsdale NY Office Phone Number 914-997-7688
- Mt. Kisco Mt. Kisco NY Office Phone Number 914-486-5600
- Poughkeepsie NY Poughkeepsie NY Office Phone Number 845-452-2900